YETU was founded in 2014 to offer business training to young people, especially women who presented a population with dashed dreams, dissuaded from entrepreneurial investments, the majority of whom were dependent on parents, relatives, and spouses.
While the interventions of the social enterprise were successful in improving the lives of over 76% of beneficiaries, the majority spent more than half of their savings on health, while others were living school for marriage alongside other challenges. In 2016, we registered as a non-government organisation to provide holistic support to young women and girls. We dream of a self-sufficient society where youth, especially young women and girls thrive.
YETU ensures inclusive programs and projects which promote the participation of youth females, orphans and vulnerable children (OVCs) and other marginalized groups equitably.
Organizational Capacity Development
YETU ensures that all interventions embed an element of developing or strengthening organizational systems, structures, policies and skills to foster sustainability.
Partnerships and Networking
YETU makes deliberate efforts to work with other organizations at national, regional and district levels and government especially on programs and projects within its thematic focus.
YETU also shares experiences with all stakeholders for purposes of learning, collaboration, adaptation and replication.
- 25% of teenage girls are mothers or expecting their first child at 18 years.
- Youth unemployment stands at approximately 62%
- 70% of the population has no access to family planning and contraceptives information
- 3 in every 10 children has never been to school
- 50% of Uganda’s children live in poverty
- HIV prevalence is almost four times higher among young women aged 15 to 24 than young men of the
- In 2014, only 38.5% of young women and men aged 15-24 could correctly identify ways of preventing
the sexual transmission of HIV
- 1 in every 3 females 24 years and below has been a victim of two forms of violence either sexual,
emotional or physical violence in their lifetime.
We understand that we have no capacity to solve all the challenges in our community,therefore,we thrive on collaborating with like minded individuals and organisations to harness each others strength and holistically meet the needs of our community.
We realise that grassroots understand their need, challenges and concerns. Therefore we work with communities to co-create lasting solutions. The power of ownership and sustainability lies on community being part of making decsions which affect their lives.